Nafplio, Nafplion, Navplio, Navplion, Nauplion, Nauplie, Anapli, Napli
Nafplion is one of the most picturesque cities of Greece, full of history and a favourite destination among foreign and Greek tourists all year round.
Stroll around the narrow Venetian streets of the old town and see the castles left behind by occupying forces and historical monuments in memory of heroes.
Visit the Archaeological, Folklore, Military, and Toy museums, the castles of Palamidi and Acronafplia and take a trip in a small boat to the Bourtzi castle in the harbour, one of the most photographed castles in Greece.
Nafplion was the first capital of the newly liberated Greece after 400 years of occupation by the Turkish and played a major role in the history of the country. These days it is a cosmopolitan town full of life with a magical atmosphere to be enjoyed by people of all ages and walks of life.
See some of the interesting and historical places to visit in Nafplion further down on this page and this is only a sample of the many monuments and areas of beauty.
Visit the Anthemion Pension Hotel and soak up some of the romantic, historical atmosphere of Nafplion for yourselves.
Interesting Spots in Nafplion
Blue Flag Beach
Some of the interesting historical monuments of Nafplion.
Dominating the town of Nafplion is the Palamidi fortress. Named after Palamedes who was a local hero of the Trojan War, the imposing fortress is lit up at night turning it into an almost magical site.
The building was the first Military Academy. Not only weapons but many other historical items.
Open: daily 09.00-14.00. Closed on Mondays.
The small islet named the Bourtzi can be found resting in the harbour of Nafplion. The fortress was first designed as a stronghold in the 1400's and had canons placed around it to protect the entrance to Nafplion harbour.
Near Constitution Square is the Parliament Building. Built in 1730 it was used as a Mosque and after the Victory of the Greek War of Independence in 1821 it housed the 1st Liberated Greek Parliament.
On one side of Nafplion descending down to the sea are the remnants of Akronafplia, the oldest of the town’s three castles and played a crucial part in the security of Nafplion from sea invaders.
On one side of Constitution Square the The Arsenal building is located. A Venetian building constructed in 1713, it was used as its name implies. The building is now the home of the Archaeological Museum.
The neoclassical building where the gallery is held, houses a collection of works of art dedicated to the liberating cause of the Greeks against the Turks.
The statue of the hero and fighter of the War of Independence, the formidable Theodoros Kolokotronis mounted on his horse.
Today’s Town Hall was originally where the first High School of Nafplion was located, built for this purpose under King Otto's regime, it was only one of two buildings in Greece that were built specifically for the use as a school.
In the year 1833 Nafplion was hit with a devastating typhoid epidemic and a large number of Bavarian soldiers escorting King Otto died. King Otto's father, Ludwig of Bavaria commissioned a reconstruction of the sleeping Lion of Lucerne in memory of these men.
Built in 1702 and located in Agiou Spiridona Square. Kapodistrias (the first governor of independent Greece) was assassinated outside this church in 1831. The bullet hole is shown in a glass case on the wall.
At the foot of the Palamidi the Land Gate is located or Pili Tis Ksiras as it’s called in Greek. Originally built in the early 1700's it was the only entrance by land into the "Old City".
After a long career in European politics and diplomacy he was elected as the first governor of state of independent Greece (1827–31) and he is considered as the founder of the modern Greek State.
Paved with white marble, the square is surrounded by period buildings such as the Turkish mosque, The National Bank and the Armoury as well as the First Parliament building.
The church of St. Nikolaos was moved from inside the walled city to the shore, off Philhellenes Sq. on the wishes of the superintendent of the Venetian fleet Agostino Sagredo, in 1713. The facade and belfry are more recent additions.